Monday, December 29, 2008

"Come"

It was during an altar call that I had this word ringing in my ears. Deep within me, a stir of renewal was created as the pound of the word grew much, much louder. "Come, my child", He said, "and rest in me". Those were the only words that seemed audible to me at said time, and right then, I knew for once that it was truly God who spoke to me. I heard Him, I actually did.

Now that 2008 is reaching its closure, reflections of the past bring me to a clear realisation that throughout these 12 months, I never took God seriously. My quiet time was often replaced with other duties that weren't even half as important as devotions. I only prayed when I needed help, I only asked for favors and even when I did pray, I still continued to doubt and fear. What was the whole point? I now ask myself, and now I really know what a selfish disciple of God I was.

It was as if I had a life which catered to no specific reason, and perhaps that was how I was before camp. Dry, thirsty, weary, heavy laden, broken...adjectives that relate to how much healing and restoration of the heart I needed.

Seeing the short film of the crucifixion of Christ already impacted me in many ways than one. I could not stop the tears from coming, I just was unable to. God is so great that sometimes, He cannot be described in mere words. His love dedicated to us is always pure and unselfish, and He did so by sending His Son to die for our sins. That is how great and awesome our God can be.

My bucket was refilled and the fire in me rekindled at the comfort of God's touch and love. And I know that I will never comprehend the love and care that He has for me, because that is just beyond description. If there were anyone who would never fail me, it has to be God. He never ever fails.

Youth camp taught me lessons that I will remember and keep close to my heart. It turned out great. The surroundings, the people, the food, the heat, and the teachings...for how the gap between me and God was bridged and reconnected. I feel alive again, and I pray that this longing desire for God would never die out. And I will always, always remember the words He gave me on that very day, because that was what I never did for all this time. Thank You, Lord, for restoring my faith, for being the only One to accept me for who I am, and for being so sovereign and real to me.

As Isaiah 40:31 says, "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

No comments: