I'm not used to receiving sudden news, especially if they're the ones concerning my good peers or anyone I'm closely attached to. On Wednesday, I was informed unexpectedly that my very good ex-tuition mate will be leaving for another country to further her studies, and thereby skipping the SPM I so wished I didn't have to sit for. She will be going in just a matter of days' time. And I don't even know when she will be back.
It's her birthday today, so I thought I'd do a little reminiscing of the past just to recall the little blasts we used to have, albeit some really little ones which I can still think of. I knew of her when I was in Standard 6. We were both prefects but, at that time, the prefects in school were divided into two major shifts; that is having to go on duty on alternate days weekly. We were put into separate shifts, so I didn't really get the chance to make a conversation with her although everytime I saw her, I would get this instinct which told me that she could be someone I could click well with. It's sort of natural, when you see someone, and you would just know that the person might become your closest chum in the near future or something. That was what my inner self told me. But when all of us graduated from primary school, I left the ceremony without speaking a word to her at all in those six years. It was then that I surmised maybe we weren't meant to be friends at all, and headed to face secondary school life as I came to DJ while she went to CHS.
Praise the Lord, though, that when Form 1 dawned upon us, we both ended up in the same maths tuition class. From then, on every Wednesday morning, we would somehow greet each other with simple hello's and goodbye's as to the both of us, our faces became familiar to each other. Slowly yet surely, this became a friendly routine and we could start having small talks just like the way strangers meet each other for the first few times. It wasn't strange at all, however, that we already knew each other by name.
Then, the most crucial part of our lower secondary school life approached. PMR was literal doom looming over our heads, and for that reason, both of us eventually landed in the same BM tuition that so happened to be reputable. In the first lesson that year, I came into the class a little lost, hoping to spot at least a school mate I could easily befriend and sit next to, and I did. But beside my school mate were two other seats on the same row, one which was filled by my newfound maths tuitionmate. It was a happy occasion, really, to be able to see someone familiar and knowing that you would be spending perhaps the whole year making friends out of one another. So there she was, and off we went learning together.
In all honesty, I used to think she was just all-round mean. She would snatch my bottle and refused to return it to me. She would also grab my 0.1 megapixel camera phone to simply record random guys in tuition and decide to do a spontaneous commentary on them being my boyfriends. At one point, she was obsessed with French and eventually came to taking my phone to record her saying weird French phrases. I still have the videos and recordings in my phone as whenever I'm upset, these stuff would gladly cheer me up because of how silly and hilarious they are. We would compete with each other to see who could finish our Karangan Berpandukan Gambar or Karangan Umum first, just for self-satisfaction. And everytime I beat her at it, she would ignore me and go ahead completing her work, thus showing off that she finished hers already...and it was everything befitting a total "swt" situation.
I have now known her for about 5 years now and although we seldom communicate, we wouldn't feel the awkwardness when we start talking again. God has blessed me with a wonderful friend that I will always cherish, and for that, I am never forgetting the friendship we have since forged.
Happy 17th Birthday, Becc. All the best in Australia and thank you for every little thing. I am still thinking hard about what that French phrase means.
It's her birthday today, so I thought I'd do a little reminiscing of the past just to recall the little blasts we used to have, albeit some really little ones which I can still think of. I knew of her when I was in Standard 6. We were both prefects but, at that time, the prefects in school were divided into two major shifts; that is having to go on duty on alternate days weekly. We were put into separate shifts, so I didn't really get the chance to make a conversation with her although everytime I saw her, I would get this instinct which told me that she could be someone I could click well with. It's sort of natural, when you see someone, and you would just know that the person might become your closest chum in the near future or something. That was what my inner self told me. But when all of us graduated from primary school, I left the ceremony without speaking a word to her at all in those six years. It was then that I surmised maybe we weren't meant to be friends at all, and headed to face secondary school life as I came to DJ while she went to CHS.
Praise the Lord, though, that when Form 1 dawned upon us, we both ended up in the same maths tuition class. From then, on every Wednesday morning, we would somehow greet each other with simple hello's and goodbye's as to the both of us, our faces became familiar to each other. Slowly yet surely, this became a friendly routine and we could start having small talks just like the way strangers meet each other for the first few times. It wasn't strange at all, however, that we already knew each other by name.
Then, the most crucial part of our lower secondary school life approached. PMR was literal doom looming over our heads, and for that reason, both of us eventually landed in the same BM tuition that so happened to be reputable. In the first lesson that year, I came into the class a little lost, hoping to spot at least a school mate I could easily befriend and sit next to, and I did. But beside my school mate were two other seats on the same row, one which was filled by my newfound maths tuitionmate. It was a happy occasion, really, to be able to see someone familiar and knowing that you would be spending perhaps the whole year making friends out of one another. So there she was, and off we went learning together.
In all honesty, I used to think she was just all-round mean. She would snatch my bottle and refused to return it to me. She would also grab my 0.1 megapixel camera phone to simply record random guys in tuition and decide to do a spontaneous commentary on them being my boyfriends. At one point, she was obsessed with French and eventually came to taking my phone to record her saying weird French phrases. I still have the videos and recordings in my phone as whenever I'm upset, these stuff would gladly cheer me up because of how silly and hilarious they are. We would compete with each other to see who could finish our Karangan Berpandukan Gambar or Karangan Umum first, just for self-satisfaction. And everytime I beat her at it, she would ignore me and go ahead completing her work, thus showing off that she finished hers already...and it was everything befitting a total "swt" situation.
I have now known her for about 5 years now and although we seldom communicate, we wouldn't feel the awkwardness when we start talking again. God has blessed me with a wonderful friend that I will always cherish, and for that, I am never forgetting the friendship we have since forged.
Happy 17th Birthday, Becc. All the best in Australia and thank you for every little thing. I am still thinking hard about what that French phrase means.
No comments:
Post a Comment