Tuesday, March 17, 2009

There Always is Logic in Everything

Quintessential. Epitome. Eclectic. Ubiquitous. You just do not. use. these. words.

In an article, that is :)

Memories from Malacca with the 38 of you :

1. Games like Signs, Aiyo, Ping, Pong, Piang!, Grandma Likes, Baby I love you but I can't smile!, How Many Horses, Open Close (I still don't get this, gah), Johnny Whoop...


The game 'Signs'. Don't know why Dhinesh looks as if he's flailing his arms

2. DEADlines which were literally deadly. We barely got 3+ hours of sleep on the last night of camp. Sigh, all the rushing for soundslides and photo essays made me want to give up at one point. But everything still turned out more than fine on the last day, no sweat no sweat. Thanks to the team as well, although we certainly had a tough time deciding on a proper chicken rice ball caption, which didn't even appear on the screen during the presentation. Oh well!


Marissa, a roomate of mine, googling chicken rice balls. And that would be Stanley and Saren in the background.


Ee Lyne and I stressing over our scripts. What is with my hair -.-

3. Field assignments where we had to wear our official camp shirts for two days straight. I tell you, Malacca is definitely the place for anyone at all to go sun soaking. There seldom are pedestrian crossings and with that, you'd have to run past ongoing traffic with hot wind slapping you in every fibre of your flesh, inhale the aroma of super oily chicken rice balls (never got to try them) and hear the crisp crunch of cendol ais being sold at the stalls opposite of where you are heading towards. Ah, does justice to the 'can see but no touchhh!' sentiment. Jonker, how I still pine for you and everything about you!


The crowd at the cendol stalls


:D


This man in red is Colin and he is able to dictate just about anything related to the heritage of Malacca. He can even tell which type of brick hails from which certain era!


Camp's very own Jay Chou. No, seriously


Sarah (le giggles!) and I. My hair, arghhhhh


Cute kids making pottery at a clay house. So adorable kan?

4. Coming across some of the most amazing people I've met in my life. The noise that was made, the atmosphere that continuously lingered around enthusiasm and zest...the warmth that these people bring are just over-exuding.


Andrea from Subang Jaya and I


Blur pic of Alez...wait, how do I spell his name again? Oh, right, Alezender. And that's also how you pronounce it. You can't see his blue eye from this picture but he definitely has it!


Jay Chou who volunteered as a nerd on our presentation the night before


I felt awkward standing next to the tallest 5th Former I've ever seen. Haih you should see Yee Ming when he stands in a bus...the distance between his head and the ceiling is just millimetres apart


This is Greg...who mixes ice cream with orange juice?!! Who DOES that? But on hindsight, it did not taste as bad as it sounded


Ee Lyne from Ave Maria Convent, Ipoh. Soundslide partner :)


Joanna from CHS, Parthiba from Segamat, Marissa from Klang, Jen Yin from BU4, me and Ee Lyne


With Dhinesh the senior and Prathiba, fellow roomate!

Part 2 of camp shall be posted up as soon as I steal the group pictures from Facebook because my camera just had to die on me at that time. I just came back from Malacca this afternoon, leaving behind the place with this bittersweet sensation stirring within me. It's back to the usual routines of our lives. No more rushed assignments, mind games, learning the overall concept of journalism 101...back to facing the wrath of school homework and the impending doom of more exams to come.

And I finally know why Malacca got its status as a UNESCO World Heritage site. There certainly is more to Malacca than anyone can ever tell if he/she has only been to Kota A' Famosa or other famous landmarks of the capital. But nothing beats the discoveries we found in the little nooks of the place - the untainted walls, the walk along Jalan Tukang Emas where you can never find a goldsmith there (irony at its best), the amazing merge and tolerance between religious architecture such as having a church, a mosque, a temple all revolving about the same point...my gosh, isn't that mind-boggling? I think I've just made myself miss the place even more already.

2 comments:

ANDREA said...

That last paragraph could so have gotten into the print article. hahaha :)

natalie said...

haha, i do doubt it...