Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Think

So I did not do much with the aim of gearing up for OBS, sans the only time in 2 weeks that I climbed up and down the rugby pavilion steps 10 times just to, well, dispel the guilt of not working out prior to the course. I refused to expect anything out of the 10 days in Lumut-Pangkor because I realized surprises appear even more pleasant when you least expect them to. It was good in a way that I kept to that mindset, as what went on during the course could not have always stuck on schedule to what we thought would have. And at the end of it all, it wasn't the activities we did that mattered, it was how we did them that ultimately counts.

If I could highlight which part of the course meant most to me, it would be every single one, really. From the moment we trekked through Bukit Pangkor and then to the peak of 1145m, the waning energy that we constantly used up at every step we dragged across, the jumping around to kick blood-sucking leeches away, the bending and squatting and the occasional doubt we had when hiking up the thorny hills, the pulling of hands from one level of the rock to another, the "We're almost there!" chant that kept us going, the availability of gallons of bottles of water that still somehow made me want to cut my tongue off at times, the stinging scent of Mosi Guard, the heavy load of backpack we weighed onto our backs, the insanely sweet sensation of apple and orange tasting while trekking through a jungle...

The 5-hour long kayaking journey from Lumut to Pangkor Island, how Daryl and I tired out at the undeterring strength of mightily cruel sea waves, the burns we all suffered from on our hands after the expedition, the constant washing of mess tins, the recurring display of canned foods for meals, the hyperactive clubbing monkeys, writing my letter beside the fire during solo camping, setting up my first successful and long-lasting fire, rapelling down a height of rocks, us cramming under the tents having tea for breakfast in the pouring rain, swimming in the ocean, bonding with one another, truly understanding what it meant to be yourself...


#1 The picturesque scene that greets us everyday at base camp


#2 The amount of energy it takes us to reach Korbu dorm : 127 steps


#3 View off the balcony


#4 When perseverance was tested


#5 Awaiting sunrise


#6 While solo camping; you have no idea how good it tasted


#7 Admiring the bright stars that blanketed across the night sky, basking in the comforts of each other's company


#8 Last but not least, watch Ledang :)

OBS taught me to learn. To learn more about myself, my strength, my limits, my capabilities and my disabilities. It taught me how to turn them into useful opportunities. It taught me about courage and unity; friendship and trust. It made me realize how important the human mind is, how we have all the control in the world to limit or expand the capacity within it. It's always in the mind, isn't it...that's what they always say. Well guess what - it is true. We are all powerful in our thinking, and it is through that positive power by which I can safely say led to my surviving the entire course of OBS.

Thank you for everything, Lumut. I will never forget you.

No comments: